Introduction - Diploma in Agribusiness Management
Diploma in Agribusiness Management [N/621/4/0014]
The introduction of Diploma in Agribusiness Management (DAM) programme is another unwavering effort of ISM in producing graduates with requisite agriculture and business management skills and knowledge to meet both employment and self-employment needs in the local market. This lays a solid groundwork for young people who have passions to pursue their dreams of becoming an entrepreneur in agriculture or aquaculture sector one day. They may advance their professional studies or embark on a career at the sub-professional level upon completing the programme.
Being the key source of income to the nation’s GDP, agriculture industries have remained its vitality over the years in Malaysia. Not just being remarkably evolving in its research and development, the industries have been laying a great career platform to many work force in the country. Having had recognised the ever desirable trend of employment in this industries, the ISM pledged to launch another new programme with a blend of agriculture and business management context to cater for the market demand.
The DAM programme was thoughtfully planned with the aim of producing individuals who are versatile and dynamic, not just in agriculture, but in business managerial and entrepreneurial arena. In additions, the programme was as well tailored to be industrial focused with a period of 3-month industrial attachment. This would certainly add value to our diploma graduates in their future undertakings, be it further studies or employment.
ISM’s Diploma in Agribusiness Management provides a framework for developing the skills and knowledge needed for employment and self-employment in agriculture or aquaculture industries. The programme is developed specifically for the local community and the Malaysia market, recognising the growing importance of individuals equipped with essential skills and knowledge in the blended context of agriculture and business management.
The objectives of the programme are to:
1. Produce graduates with the requisite knowledge and skills to take on a career in agriculture or aquaculture sector at junior managerial executive level.
2. Equip graduates with fundamental knowledge and skills to make them employment worthy and entrepreneurially capable.
3. Produce graduates who possess positive attitude and ethical values which are expected on agribusiness management personnel.
4. Provide graduates with an educational experience that motivates them to further studies and for life-long learning.
At the end of this programme, the graduates should be able to:
1. Support the management of an agricultural business with the knowledge and practical skills acquired.
2. Demonstrate good analytical and thinking skills in solving the daily issues of an agricultural business in the ethical and technical manners.
3. Demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written communication, good interpersonal skills and responsibilities with different stakeholders in future endeavour.
4. Demonstrate good managerial and entrepreneurial knowledge and skills as well as leadership qualities that will prepare for both employment and self-employment.
5. Acquire information management skills and requisite knowledge and practical skills for pursuing higher level of study and life-long learning.
· Pass SPM/SPMV/O-Level with at least 3 Credits or equivalent qualification recognised by the Malaysia Government PLUS
· A pass in Bahasa Malaysia and History (for Malaysians only)
There are three student intakes in a year which fall in every January, May and September.
The programme is delivered in a conventional mode of lecture, tutorial, laboratory experiment, and field work. A period of 3-month industrial attachment forms part of the programme structure and it is compulsory to be undergone during the second year of study.